Douglas Municipal Gene Chambers Airport
Welcome to the Douglas Municipal Gene Chambers Airport
Conveniently located for distribution and access throughout the Southeast, the Douglas Airport provides location opportunities in a progressive community, which is aiming high for the years to come. In addition to direct user access to the 6005 foot runway, the terminal building is equipped with free Wi-Fi access, a pilot’s lounge, snack area, board room, showers, and an aircraft museum.
The Veteran’s Park is located adjacent to the terminal. The Douglas Municipal Gene Chambers Airport Business Park has exceptional access to the network of federal and state highways, which connect to larger metropolitan areas. Get a flying start on your competition in Douglas-Coffee County!
- Courtesy Vehicle Available
- After Hours Self Service Fuel Farm
- Break Area
- Meeting Room
- Snack/Drink Machine
DQH DISADVANTAGED BUSINESS ENTERPRISE (DBE)
School Tours Offered!
Any school interested in scheduling a tour of the Douglas Municipal Airport can call Howard Whidden, Airport Manager at 912-384-1409 or email Howard Whidden .
School Tours Information (PDF)
Historic WWII Flight Training Airbase
The goals of the Air Base Preservation & Development Committee are to identify, evaluate, and plan for rehabilitation, adaptive use, and restoration of the historic structures at the air base in Douglas, Georgia, Coffee County. We hope to protect the historical integrity and to increase awareness of this hidden jewel within our community. The end results will hopefully create a "village concept" that will attract visitors from across the nation to this historic landmark, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Contact a Committee Member today to make a tax deductible donation for the restoration of this historic Airbase.
During World War II, an average of 200 cadets and 75 personnel remained on the airbase. Joint management of the airbase continued; the Raymond-Brinkerhoff Aviation Company controlled the flying instructors and buildings, while the Army had control of the mechanics, cadets and hospital.
By 1943, The main field had grown to 3,500 feet by 3,500 feet with auxiliary fields. With 10 barracks added in 1942, additional barracks began construction in 1943. When Brinkerhoff resigned from Raymond-Brinkerhoff, the company was re-organized into the Raymond—Richardson Aviation Company. The base continued to grow to 12 buildings and one flag pole. An estimated total of 7,000 WWII cadets graduated from the 63rd Army Air Force Flight Training School.
Many cadets went on to fly during the war, win honors, and some gave the ultimate sacrifice. In December 1944, the base was decommissioned and returned as a civilian complex to the City of Douglas. Over the years, the airbase has been used for multiple purposes from a spring baseball training site to school housing to government office space. The WWII 63rd AAF-FTD Flight Training Museum is occupied on the grounds of the Airbase and the Douglas-Coffee County Veterans Park.
WWII Raymond-Richardson Aviation Airbase