311 Customer Care Center
The purpose of the City of Douglas 311 Customer Care Center is to establish a centralized service request system that embodies a citizen-centric approach. Customers will be able to dial 311, which will be a three-digit number, to connect to the Customer Service Specialists.
- To provide more efficient customer service.
- To develop a streamlined approach to service/delivery.
- To increase the ability to track service department performance and improve accountability.
- To improve citizen access to municipal services and information during emergencies.
For a full listing of services provided by the City of Douglas, please select City Services for our online A-Z Resource Guide.
HOURS OF OPERATION
The Customer Care Center will serve as the communication link to provide timely and consistent handling of customer needs through a friendly, motivated City employee. This 24 hour a day, 7 day a week operation will be able to handle customer service any time regardless of the hour or date by calling the 311 number.
During the hours of 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday, on weekends and holidays, customers will be able to dial a three-digit number, 311, to connect to a Service Specialist. The Customer Care Center will serve as the communication link to provide timely and consistent handling of customer needs through a friendly, motivated City employee. Service Specialists will be available from 8:00am to 5:00pm to answer general calls to the City, process service requests and any utility related needs for connections and service.
The City of Douglas would like for customers to know that when calling from a cellular phone that the three-digit call to 311 only works with Windstream, AT&T, and Verizon customers at this time. We do apologize for any inconveniences, but customers can still receive the same customer service care by dialing the full number, which is 384-3302.
- Account Review
- Commercial Application (PDF)
- Residential Application (PDF)
- Temporary Service Application (PDF)
- Transfer of Service Application(Residential) (PDF)
- Transfer of Service Application(Commercial) (PDF)
- UtilityHawk Customer Portal
The City of Douglas has implemented Utility Hawk, a customer friendly portal for utility customers to track their utility usage in their homes and businesses. Douglas utility customers will be able to create a free account and receive real-time information on their utilities. The Utility Hawk application improves customer service and consumer engagement by enabling customers to create an online account, view their consumption data, see an estimate of their bill and perform a host of other valuable functions. Additionally, customers will be able to sign up to receive a text message, email, or phone call alert if consumption indicates a possible leak or abnormal usage. If a customer's consumption appears to look as if consumption will exceed the set threshold, an automatic alert will be sent out. for more information about Utility Hawk, please contact the Customer Care Center by dialing 3-1-1 or 912-384-3302.
PROGRAMS FOR SENIOR CITIZENS OFFERED BY DOUGLAS UTILITIES
CALL 912-384-3302 FOR MORE INFORMATION The Douglas Utilities Department offers Utility Programs for Douglas Utility customers who are ages 65 and older. The two programs are a monthly $10.00 Senior Discount and the Weatherization Grant-Loan Program.
The Senior Discount Program is available for active account holders ages 65 & Older. Seniors are now eligible to receive a $10.00 monthly credit to their Douglas Utility account. Some of the requirements are as follows:
- Electric service is turned on for the utility account with the Douglas Utility Department.
- Senior must be age 65 or older.
- The account must be a residential account.
- The applicant must be the owner of the utility account with full privileges on the account.
- After enrolling in the program, every 2 years on Feb. 1st, the senior must re-apply and follow all the steps above to continue to be eligible with one exception (Exception - if the senior citizen is placed in an assisted living facility or at another location for personal care and no one is living at the utility service location, if the City is notified and services are left on, the discount will continue). Should the account holder fail to comply, discount will be stopped until the proper steps are taken by the account holder as described above. The reinstated discount will not be retroactive but resume again with the next billing cycle.
Should the City be informed or discover that any account holder receiving the Senior Discount is deceased or no longer resides at the location of the utilities, the discount will be discontinued. For full requirements or to activate the Senior Citizen Discount option, please contact the Customer Care Department at the City of Douglas or by dialing 3-1-1or 912-384-3302.
"For several years, senior citizens have asked for a discount or incentive when becoming a City of Douglas utility customer," says Utility Director, Mike Hudson. "We are proud to offer these new utility programs that will offer a monthly discount and provide a grant-loan program for weatherization of homes that seniors own within the City of Douglas."
Another option available to Senior Citizens is the Weatherization Grant – Loan Program. Qualified City residents with limited weatherization improvements to their home, may apply for the Weatherization Grant-Loan program.
Some of the Requirements for this option are as follows; the Senior must be 65 or older (driver's license or picture ID required showing date of birth, account must have active electric residential service with the City; must be a resident of the City of Douglas and a U.S. citizen, must be the Utility Account Holder or listed on the utility account, must meet current HUD low/moderate income limits, must provide proof of home ownership, must occupy structure as primary residence, must provide proof that property taxes are current, must be current on utility account and applicant must not be a participant of the Douglas Utility Payment Plan, must provide income verification. Manufactured homes are eligible providing they are permanently affixed. Rental property is NOT eligible. An energy audit will be performed on each housing unit to determine needed improvements by a qualified City staff person. The maximum amount eligible per household is $5,000 including labor costs. The applicant will be required to pay fifty (50) percent of the total amount improvements on their monthly utility bill up to a 60 month time period. However, due to limited funds, approximately thirty (30) applications will be received and processed on a first come, first serve basis. For a full list of all policies and procedures concerning the Weatherization Grant-Loan Program, please contact the Community Development Department at 912-389-3432.
EXPLANATION OF RESIDENTIAL UTILITIES BILL
CALL 384-3302 TO LEARN MORE!
UTILITY PAYMENT OPTIONS
The City of Douglas offers options for customers to pay their monthly utility bills.
Contract Payment Plan
- Customers must complete a Utility Committee Form prior to 8:31am on the day Customer Service is actually disconnecting customers in the particular Ward for non-pay. The Customer Service Manager or one appointed by him will review these forms to validate eligibility by initialing the form and dating. Any request by a customer for a Contract Payment Plan must be documented on the Utility Committee Form. Each customer is allowed one (1) request for the Contract Payment Plan every twelve (12) months from his/her prior Contract Payment Plan issue date. The only exception is for Senior Citizens, age 55 or older. Senior Citizens, age 55 or older, are allowed two (2) requests per year if needed to help with high utility bills as long as the bill with the last payment of the prior Contract Payment Plan has been paid in full.
Online Payment Options
The Online Bill Pay is now Accessible!!! Customers will need to setup a new username (using your email address) and password. In creating an account, you will need the amount of your last payment made on your account and account number.
Please contact the Customer Care Center at 311 or (912) 384-3302 for any utility billing questions.
HAVE AN ISSUE OR NEED TO REPORT A PROBLEM?
Our "One Click to City Hall" request tracker offers customers the ability to submit concerns and work orders to the City of Douglas.
View the Customer Care Center's staff directory.